Pages

Tuesday 28 April 2020

Design a boat!



Today, my class and I read chapter 10 and 11 in our novel 'Refugee' by Alan Gratz. We have been following the three main characters on their journeys as refugees. Our reading task today relates to Isabel, as her family are escaping Cuba via boat, and are headed to Florida. Some Cuban people call America el norte, which means northern Cuba.

Isabel's family have been working with the Castillo family to build a boat that will make it across the ocean safely, and carry them all from Cuba to America. As the families work together to carry the boat to the shore, they realise everyone is doing the same thing! There are inflatable rafts, canoes made with homemade outriggers, rafts made of inner-tubes tied together, and boats built out of Styrofoam and oil drums.

Our task today is to design a boat, using only materials that we would find laying around. We have to think about the fact that Cubans have been given the green light by Castro Fidel to leave Cuba, so there is no time for shopping, we have to act fast with what we have.

For my boat design, I would be aiming for something simple and easy that I could make at home. I would start by using any wood that I had laying around my property, including the door from my outside lean-to, the wood from my back fence, and the wood that lines the garden, etc. I would create a simple design that would float, keep water out, and hold 4 people. I would make it simple, and use any sealing solutions to fill the gaps in the wood so water didn't leak inside. I would also use wooden panels and make paddles, so that I could steer the boat and keep it moving forward.

What do you think? What would your boat design look like if you were escaping your country?

2 comments:

  1. can I use the boat I have at home

    ReplyDelete
  2. what did you make that with

    ReplyDelete